ELMHURST CUP TOURNAMENT RULES
LAWS OF THE GAME
All games shall be played in accordance with the laws observed by the USYSA/FIFA/IYSA with the exceptions noted herein.
ROSTER SIZES & ELIGIBILITY
- U13-U19 (11v11) Roster Size Maximum (22) - only (18) may dress per game
- U11-U12 (9v9) Roster Size Maximum (16)
- U9-U10 (7v7) Roster Size Maximum (14)
- U8 (4v4) Roster Size Maximum (12) - U8 teams may play up in the U9 division to play 7v7
(U8 age group will play NO OFFSIDE)
- Five (5) guest players will be allowed in all age divisions if they are registeredwith the USYSA or US Club, have a current USYSA or US Club player pass, and have a tournament guest player form on file with the tournament registrar.
- No roster changes will be approved during the course of the tournament.
2018/2019 AGE DIVISIONS
- U19: 2000 Birth Year
- U18: 2001 Birth Year
- U17: 2002 Birth Year
- U16: 2003 Birth Year
- U15: 2004 Birth Year
- U14: 2005 Birth Year
- U13: 2006 Birth Year
- U12: 2007 Birth Year
- U11: 2008 Birth Year
- U10: 2009 Birth Year
- U09: 2010 Birth Year
- U08: 2011 Birth Year
LENGTH OF GAME/GAME PROCEDURES
- Home team is listed first on the schedule and will be required to change uniforms in the event of a color conflict.
- Referees shall have final approval of all equipment.
- U8 teams (4v4) will use a size 3 ball, U9-U12 teams shall use a size 4, U13-U19 teams shall use a size 5.
- Players are to be on one side of the playing field and spectators on the opposite side.
- U8 (4v4) - all games will be 4v4 with NO offside played on fields 30 yds x 20 yds; 40-minute games 2x20, with a 5-minute halftime; 4 field players with no GKs
- U9-U10 (7v7) - all games will be 7v7 played on fields 50 yds x 35 yds; 50-minute games 2x25 with a 5-minute halftime; 6 field players + 1 GK
- U11-U12 (9v9) - all games will be 9v9 played on fields 80 yds x 45 yds; 50-minute games 2x25 with a 5-minute halftime; 8 field players + 1 GK
- U13-U15 (11v11) - all games will be 11v11 played on fields 115 yds x 70 yds; 60 minutes in length 2x30 with a 5-minute halftime; 10 field players + 1 GK
- U16-U19 (1v11) - all games will be 11v11 played on fields 115 yds x 70 yds; 70 minutes in length 2x35 with a 5-minute halftime; 10 field players + 1 GK
- The schedule is subject to change at anytime up until the start of the tournament, please review your schedules regularly.
- Schedule changes will be posted at www.elmhurstsoccer.com please check the website.
- All games will end no later than 5 minutes prior to the starting time of the next scheduled game.
- The only exception to this rule is for playoff games.
Tournament committee reserves the right to:
- Reschedule, relocate, or terminate games due to weather conditions.
- If half of the game has been played before the termination for weather conditions or tournament director decisions, the game stands as a completed match and will be scored accordingly.
- Reduce the duration of the game.
- Cancel a preliminary game that has no bearing in deciding the group winner.
- Decide the final tournament standings, trophy winners.
- Cancel the tournament due to weather or other unforeseen conditions, which are not conducive to tournament play.
- Once a team has been accepted into the Elmhurst Cup tournament, no refunds will be issued to the teams unless the tournament is cancelled. If the tournament is cancelled due to an "act of nature", the tournament may retain 25% of the advertised team entry fee to cover non-refundable expenditures for the tournament. The committee will decide if any prorated fees will be refunded.
Substitutions may be made, with the consent of the referee, at the following times:
- May sub on either team's throw-in
- On either team's corner kick
- After a goal is scored
- Prior to restarting the game with a goal kick
- During any dead ball situation
- For an injured player
Note: Players must leave and enter the field at the half line.
TOURNAMENT SCORING/TIE-BREAKING/ADVANCEMENT/WILDCARDS FOR SEMI-FINALS
If you are playing in a group with 5 or 6 teams, no Championship game will be played. The team with the most points determines the Champion.
Games in the preliminary rounds will be scored as follows:
- Win = 6 points
- Tie = 3 points
- Loss = 0 points
- 1 point per goal scored with a maximum of 3 per game
- 1 bonus point for a shutout (no shutout points awarded for 0-0 tie)
- Forfeit 10 points (the maximum points that can be awarded)
In the event of a tie in deciding final group positions/Wild Cards the following criteria will be used to break the tie. Once a tie-breaker is used it is eliminated and you move to the next on the list.
Example: 3 teams tie in points in the group stage. Each has 2 wins & 1 loss, Head-to-Head is eliminated since they all have 1 loss and each has beaten the other in some way. You have now moved on to Goal Differential, 1 team is eliminated but 2 are still tied. At this point, you cannot go back to head to head, you then move on to fewest goals allowed, etc.
Points are always the first criteria for any division; for a Wild Card situation the 2nd place team from any bracket with the most points advance. If the 2nd place teams tie in points, we then follow the below criteria.
- #1 Head-to-Head Competition (if applicable)
- #2 Goal differential (goals scored minus goals allowed), maximum 3 per game
- #3 Fewest goals allowed, maximum 3 per game
- #4 Most goals scored, maximum 3 per game
- #5 Most wins
- #6 Penalty kicks
Tie Breakers for Semi-Finals & Finals
No overtime periods will be played - teams will go directly to penalty kicks
- Each team will designate five (5) players to take alternate penalty kicks; the best of five is the winner.
- If still tied, the remaining players will take alternate penalty kicks until the tie is broken & there is a winner.
Note: Only those players on the field at the end of the game are eligible to take penalty kicks.
Team awards will be given for first and second place finishers in all divisions.
A game will be forfeited if a team is more than 10 minutes late to a scheduled match. A minimum of 7 players is required to start a game; a Forfeit of a game will be scored a 3-0 for a total of 10 points. The tournament officials have absolute discretion to resolve all matters concerning forfeitures, as welll as advancement of teams who have forfeited any games in group play.
- All referee decisions are final. No protest will be heard on any judgment calls by the referee.
- All Protests must be submitted in writing to the tournament director within one hour after the completion of the game, along with the check for $100.00. If the protest is not upheld, the protest fee will not be refunded.
- Any player or coach that receives a red card will be disqualified for the next game of the tournament.
- Any player or coach that receives a second red card will be disqualified for the remainder of the tournament.
The tournament committee interpretation of the rules will be final. The tournament committee and sponsors, IYSA, and the TESC shall not be responsible for any expenses incurred by any team or individual if the tournament is cancelled in whole or in part.